Cleaning your gutters entails pulling debris out of them, including leaves, pine needles, twigs, pine cones, and more. While you could pull on a pair of leather gloves and simply use your hands, this is not the most effective method out there. With the right gutter scoop, you can make gutter cleaning an easier and faster project.
Gutter scoops come in a variety of styles and you may feel compelled to make your own using items in your garage. Although resourcefulness is great, here are some things to remember when buying or building your gutter scoop:
- Metal scoops can scratch your gutters, including the seams that hold them together. This can lead to leaks in your gutter system.
- A steel gutter may rust if it is scraped with a metal scoop. This will, eventually, lead to holes in your gutters and the mismanagement of water.
- Plastic scoops are the best, as they do not damage metal gutters and work with all gutter materials.
- The best scoops will have thinner ends, allowing the plastic to conform to the shape of your gutter. A great example of this is the Gutter Getter Scoop, which is one of the most popular on the market.
- Do not forget to wear gloves when using your gutter scoop. Even with this tool, you can sustain cuts and other injuries during the gutter cleaning process.
- To make gutter cleaning easier, you can attach your gutter scoop to a pole to reduce the number of times you must move your ladder. This will also enhance the safety of the process, as ladders can be dangerous.
To avoid having to clean your gutters at all, you might try having the Leaf Slugger gutter cleaning prevention system installed. This water management system blocks debris while allowing water to flow away from your home, preventing water damage, rot, mold, and other issues.