Cleaning your home’s gutters is an important part of home maintenance; however, it can be a very dangerous task. Each year, hundreds of people fall off of ladders, resulting in injuries and, in some cases, death. You can see, then, why it is so important that you practice ladder safety when cleaning your gutters!
Here are some ladder safety tips to keep in mind the next time you have to cross “gutter cleaning” off of your to-do list:
1. Use the right ladder. Industrial, commercial, and household ladders are all available, and the kind of ladder you need will depend on the size of your home. When purchasing a ladder, talk to a knowledgeable sales representative to determine the best ladder for your home maintenance needs.
2. Inspect the ladder for any cracks or breaks before using it.
3. Make sure that the bottom of the ladder rests on a stable surface. This surface should be flat.
4. Never put your ladder on top of another object. Likewise, never climb onto an object that is placed on top of your ladder.
5. Employ the 1:4 ratio when setting up your ladder. For every four feet in height, angle the ladder by one foot.
6. Lock braces on A-frame ladders before climbing.
7. When going up or down a ladder, always face the rungs. Do not face away from the ladder.
8. If you are using a tall ladder (i.e. for two or three story homes), use rope to secure it in place.
To avoid having to clean your gutters ever again—and thus avoid having to trek up the ladder one or two more times per year—it is a good idea to invest in a gutter cleaning prevention system. Leaf Slugger is a water management system that keeps debris out of your gutters, allowing water to flow away from your home without obstruction. With Leaf Slugger, you will never have to clean your gutters again!