May is National Home Improvement Month—and the perfect time to get some of the exterior maintenance activities off of your to-do list! Most homeowners pay minimal attention to the exterior of their homes, especially the less noticeable features like gutters and the roof. To make sure your home is in tip-top shape, make sure you complete these inspections during National Home Improvement Month:
- Check all of the doors leading to the exterior of your house. When closed, can you see light coming through the door jamb? Does the lock not function properly? Is the door warped, cracked, or otherwise damaged? Fix any issues you may find, as an improperly functioning door can prove dangerous.
- Examine the roof. Try climbing a ladder or crossing the street with a pair of binoculars in an effort to detect any broken shingles, missing shingles, or flapping tiles.
- Clean the exterior of your home. With a pressure washer, remove all of the dirt and other debris that has built up over the last year (avoid pressure washing windows and screens, as the pressure can cause damage to these items). While cleaning, inspect your home’s exterior for any signs of damage that need to be repaired.
- Make sure your home’s windows are working properly. Fix any that do not easily open and close, that have a draft, or that do not have working locks. If you see any condensation between the window panes, new windows may need to be in your home’s immediate future.
- Inspect your gutters. If they have accumulated debris, now is a great time to clean them. Look for any warped or damaged sections and fix them immediately, as improper gutter drainage can lead to massive amounts of water damage if left unaddressed. Likewise, check the downspouts and make sure that they are pointing away from your home.
National Home Improvement Month is a great time to examine your home’s exterior and fix any maintenance issues that you run across. For more help with your to-do list, call the professionals at Leaf Slugger to learn more about gutter protection systems!